Headaches & whiplash injury
Headaches are a common ailment and some are caused and aggravated by neck and upper back problems. The upper neck has nerves that link in to the head and any tight or stiff muscles may cause or contribute towards headaches. Poor posture or trauma ( ie Whiplash ) can also be a cause of headaches and is associated with neck pain. Helen Tinsley has a particular interest in the treatment of headaches and has attended numerous courses dealing with this specialist area.
Typically the methods of treatment employed are:
- Joint mobilisations - Stiff or unstable upper neck and jaw joints are common causes of headaches.
- Core neck muscle re-training - Studies have demonstrated that a significant number of cervical headache sufferers also have weakness in the deep stabilizing muscles of the neck and trunk.
- Massage/soft tissue mobilisation - The release of tension or trigger points in muscles is very successful in treating cervical headaches.
- Correction of muscle imbalances
- Posture advice and correction exercises
- Ergonomic Assessment & Correction - The use of a poor chair, desk or badly placed computer may result in poor posture which places strain on the neck. Your physiotherapist can advise on office set-up, bed and pillows.